Tuesday, November 26, 2013

To Be Thankful.......

It is that time of year where we all reflect on what we are thankful for. This week, in addition to being thankful for our families, friends and happiness, the library staff is focusing on "Books We Are Thankful For!"


MR. WONG’S THANKFUL FOR:

 Steal Like an Artist by Austion Kleon:

 I'm thankful for this gem by Austin Kleon for the fact that it really distills great advice from his writing career into a few pertinent things to focus on to become someone who creates rather than passively consumes things. His writing combines humor and wit in a short book that really motivates a person to start living as a creator. This book really makes a great case for meaningful simplification in a time when we are tempted to try to do too much at once.




MS. CARRICK’S THANKFUL FOR:

 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn :
I am so happy I read this book it reminded me that I love a good mystery book!
 











A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry:

I am thankful for this sweeping saga that captures all that is good and noble and evil about the human spirit. 









 Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo:

A wonderfully written documentary on modern day India and all its dichotomies, I am thankful for my very cushy life in the 'burbs.

Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif









MS. MCDONALD’S THANKFUL FOR:

The Diviners by Libba Bray: I am thankful for this mystical thriller that kept me up at night just wanting to read “one more chapter.” It left me surprised and chilled and I cannot wait for the sequel. A book that I can’t wait to get home to read is like a gift. “Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.”

 

 Breaking Night: A memoir of forgiveness, survival and my journey from homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray: I am so thankful for this story of perseverance, determination and forgiveness. Overcoming what seems like impossible odds through hard work, belief and strength is a book all young adults should read. It made me realize how fortunate I am for what I have in my life. “Liz Murray, who was homeless at the age of fifteen and had drug-addicted parents, reflects on how she overcame obstacles and eventually attended Harvard University.”

No comments:

Post a Comment